This intensive hands-on digital training workshop teaches students the fundamentals of digital filmmaking and visual storytelling. Students learn core digital filmmaking skills: basic composition and digital cinematography, “painting” with natural light, directing 101, producing, non-linear editing and post-production. The Visual Storytelling Workshop is offered during the summer as a 2-Week daytime class.
Working in small production teams, each student writes, produces, directs and edits their own short film – a visual montage. Students use professional tools of digital filmmaking including Canon DSLR cameras and Adobe Premiere Pro. At the end of the digital training class, students will premiere their work for family and friends.
2 Week Curriculum
- Day 1 – Cinematic Composition / EDL Stills
- Day 2 – Intro to the Project / DSLR Basics / Shot Terminology
- Day 3 – Pitch Ideas / Painting with natural Light / In-Camera Movie
- Day 4 – Storytelling with Visuals / Pre-Production Workshop
- Day 5 – Story & Shot List Workshop / Depth of Field: Camera Review / Greenlighting
- Day 6 – Movie Production (weekend)
- Day 7 – Movie Production (weekend)
- Day 8 – Movie Production
- Day 9 – Capturing & Transcoding / Editing 1: History and Montage / Premiere Pro
- Day 10 – Premiere Pro Basics / The Tool Palette
- Day 11 – Editing Lab / Rough Cut Review
- Day 12 – Color Correction / Titles / Output Final Movie
- Day 13 – Movie Premiere!
*The sample schedules above, are subject to change.
What You’ll Learn
- Cinematic Composition
- Digital Cinematography with DSLRs
- Shot Terminology
- Painting with Natural Light
- Directing 101
- Storytelling with Visuals
- Pre-Production techniques
- Depth of Field
- Editing 1: History and Montage
- Premiere Pro Basics
- Editing Workflow
- Titling and Color Correction