Our Short Film Workshop is a hands-on class designed to introduce students to the art and craft of filmmaking. Offered in both a 3-month and 5-week schedule, this workshop is an excellent exploration into the language of cinema and the tools of digital filmmaking. Each workshop student writes, produces, directs and edits their own short film and crews on classmates’ productions. Students learn fundamental digital filmmaking skills using professional equipment.
Students produce their work using Canon DSLR cameras; professional lighting, grip and sound equipment; and state-of-the-art sounds stages. Students edit their films using Apple computers and Adobe Premiere Pro. At the end of each workshop, students premiere their films in front of family and friends.
Our popular and often sold-out filmmaking workshops cover fiction, documentary, and music video production.
As in all of our hands-on workshops, each student writes, produces, directs, and edits their own short film.
The school really laid the foundation for me as a filmmaker. As I continue to progress in my career, I’m extremely thankful for the SFSDF program and the skills it taught me.
- Week 1 – DSLR Camera Fundamentals/ Intro to Storytelling / Pitching Ideas / Lighting
- Week 2 – Script Proposals / Producing 101/ Essentials of Directing / Location Sound
- Week 3 – Movie Production
- Week 4 – Adobe Premiere Pro / Principles of Digital Editing / Fiction or Doc Editing / Editing Labs
- Week 5 – Rough Cut / Audio Post-production/ Creating Titles / iDVD / Movie Premiere